Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Making it to the Finals



I've had a fantastic 2010. I have entered into two major National Competitions, the JAA Awards (Jewellery Association of Australia) and the National Contemporary Jewellery Award. These are two very different types of competitions, JAA being fine jewellery and NCJA being contemporary. I have been thrilled to be a finalist in both being included in a calibre of high profile jewellery designer/artist and makers.

The Resin Bracelet (red resin, fine silver), inspired by the coral and sponges that line our ocean beds and the Bird Pendant/Brooch (south sea baroque pearl, ruby, 18Kt yellow gold, fine silver, sterling silver), inspired by australian wattle bird and fondly know as Dave this is a snap-shot of a bird in flight. No prizes for guessing which piece was a finalist for which competition.

I've been really happy with the direction of my work both technically and aesthetically. I've opened my 'Design Eyes' and have allowed myself to explore, feeling uninhibited by technique or design. I really feel that this is my way forward.

A philosophy I've been developing is suggesting that a good designer is like a good hooker. The sense that every client who comes to you wants something different and as a designer/maker/artist you need to be able to put aside your ego and design purely from the clients eyes. You certainly can direct them but ultimately it is their decision as to what they want.


No comments:

Post a Comment